Saturday, March 31, 2012

Build your own Concrete Block Raised Beds

This will be my 4th year gardening in raised beds, and the 3rd gardening in my indestructible concrete block beds! There are many benefits to raised bed gardening, including looser, better draining soil, mitigated risk from toxic and lethal chemicals sometimes found in urban soil, and the fact that they're a bit easier to reach because they're higher up. 

Gardening in a concrete block garden offers all of these benefits, with the additional perk that concrete blocks will not deteriorate like wood beds will. Especially if you get untreated wood (which doesn't leach chemicals into the soil like treated wood does), you could be looking at replacing your beds in 5-8 years. 

If you are thinking about concrete raised beds for your backyard, let me share some tips and steps to create your own awesome garden:


Step 1: Select your garden site
This is a first step for any garden. In general, if you can find a spot that gets sun or partial sun, that will offer you the greatest options in what you can plant. Other considerations- level terrain, proximity to a water source, visibility, potential for expansion. I chose the left side of my backyard, which faces South & was wide enough for a substantial garden.





Step 2: Purchase concrete blocks

You can get concrete blocks from major home improvement stores, or smaller hardwares. I purchased 150 concrete blocks for $200 off of craigslist, which included delivery. At Lowes, they're listed for $1/block, so if you can borrow a truck from someone, that's a good bet. I liked that I was re-purposing my blocks though, rather than buying new.



Step 3: Install landscape fabric/ place blocks

This is where you can get a little creative! Beds can be 1 or 2 blocks high, and as long as you have space for. I find that 3-4' wide is a good distance, otherwise it gets hard to reach your plants in the middle, and easy reach is a big benefit of raised bed gardening! I chose sort of an "S" shape initially, to maximize the space I had available.



Step 4: Order compost to fill beds
Many cities and municipalities make their own compost from the yard waste they collect- Ypsilanti Township and City of Ann Arbor are two place by me that sell compost. Another good source are local landscaping companies or farms that have their own compost sales option. Here is a pretty standard formula for calculation:  To cover an area of 100 square feet with 3 inches of mulch: 100 square feet x 8 inches deep x 0.0031 = 2.48 cubic yards needed

Step 5: Fill beds with compost & Plant away!
This is a pretty self-explanatory step- once you get the frame of your beds all laid out and make sure the concrete blocks are level, you can fill in with compost! I always fill mine to the top and level them out with a rake- the soil will settle a little bit so be generous. If you have extra soil, you can fill in the concrete block holes as well, and use that space for planting flower, herbs, whatever you'd like!
Step 6: Expand beds so they eventually take over your yard (optional)
As you can see, I started with one square bed that was 4'x8'. Before I had even put in compost, I expanded it to be the larger, "S" shaped bed. The next season, I added the tail on the bottom of the "S", and this season, I've added the additional section that runs the length of the side yard (pictured on right). If you're going to grow potatoes or carrots, you can just add a second layer of blocks on top of that section (like I've done in the picture on the right). It's so easy to expand and customize that I've gone from 32 square feet to about 200 square feet in just a few short years- whoops! ;-)

Whether you start small or have visions of grandeur right from the start, concrete blocks are an affordable, sustainable choice for your yard or garden!

40 comments:

  1. My family and I also built raised beds this past spring. We have 4 beds, 4X30, for a total of 480 sq. feet. I am curious why you only used compost instead of a mix of compost and dirt. Did the landscape fabric prevent worms from getting into the beds? We used cardboard boxes to try and choke out bermuda grass in our yard and for the most part it has worked.

    Your work looks good. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if you can answer the questions above via email, my email is profpurcell - at - gmail - dot-com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great effort by you to build own concrete block....thanks for sharing.....
    Concrete blocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used layers of wet newspaper on the bottom of the beds, simply to kill the weeds. Why landscape cloth? Just curious. I also dump coffee grounds in my beds to draw in earthworms. Great little composters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done great work, it's looking very nice in these pictures, i want to say thanks for sharing this nice idea and the tutorial for it.

    concrete birmingham mi

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're building our cement beds this year. I love the idea of the fabric, but I've opted to use cardboard. It will decompose over time and I have a lot of it available. Nice photos and helpful assistance! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Concrete block beds are indeed far way better than wooded beads. More sturdy and concrete. I have concrete beds at the backyard and I never had problems with them getting destroyed easily.

    Inflatable Spa Pool

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have something like this too in my own backyard but it's a smaller area.
    I'm planning to expand it soon, glad to have these new ideas from this article.


    car locksmith Houston

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would also motivate just about every person to save this web page for any favorite assistance to assist posted the appearance. Flowering Shrubs For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  11. This unique page surely tells good quality worth to writing...

    http://www.eaglewestprecast.com/concrete-landscape-products/commercial-planters/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always handled the stuff with care at your home. because if you will fail to do so. it will damage a lot.
    Best place in UK for Beds and mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read your article. This is the perfect blog for those who want to know about this topic.

    Hochbeet Befüllen

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect way to do gardens. If you have extra concrete laying around then you might as well use it. This is contributing to the environment too.

    Aaron Carter | http://www.southernconcreteraising.com/Concrete-Leveling-Bellaire-TX.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a really creative way to do a garden. The S shape is really smart for being able to reach all parts of the garden. I don't always think about that sort of thing until it is too late. It is amazing what some people can build and create out of something like concrete.
    http://www.loflinconcrete.com/services.htm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! you have done a great work. It seems to me that you are a professional who knows how to build concrete block raised beds. By the way your garden looks great now.
    http://www.southernconcreteraising.com/Concrete-Leveling-Bellaire-TX.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Remember to not use cinder-block because it is made with fly ash and other harmful ingredients that can leach into your organic plants. Only use concrete block, it is made with rubble/rock.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got this blog site through my friends and when I searched this really there were informative articles at the place.retractable clotheslines

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have some untreated lumber with a little concrete dried on it. Is it safe to burn?
    Wood Concrete

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for sharing your great idea from far afield Sydney Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How many blocks did you buy per bed. And size bed. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
    concrete demolition

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.
    best rated mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea for a garden. I never thought about using concrete blocks to make the walls for a garden. They are pretty cheap to get and they also are strong. I will have to keep this in mind if my girlfriend ever wants to make a garden in the yard. http://www.kempconcrete.com/products

    ReplyDelete
  25. is it safe?
    should i use cinder block?

    what do you think about fly ash?

    http://preventdisease.com/news/15/020615_Warning-Cinder-Block-Concrete-Masonry-Gardens.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have some honest ideas here. I done a research on the issue and discovered most peoples will agree with your blog.
    Mattress in a box

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks… I’ve been bookmarking them for a while now and just decided to create a post to provide them to others…
    tennis court striping

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think most people would agree with your article. I am going to bookmark this web site so I can come back and read more articles. Keep up the good work!
    concrete countertops

    ReplyDelete
  29. l benefited a lot from this article and citing it was simple .
    condo in manila

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
    most popular beds

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website. Best Solid Wood Platform Beds Review

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you very much for this useful article. I like it. best rabbit wine bottle opener

    ReplyDelete
  33. Id like to know what plants to put inside the cinderblocks. some TIMES THEY GET PRETTY HOT

    ReplyDelete
  34. most new beddings needn't bother with a field spring for comfort, however many present day sleeping pad guarantees by and by require a field spring! . additional info

    ReplyDelete
  35. for the extraordinary three inch field spring. appreciate free dispatching on most extreme stuff, even immense stuff. best mattress on amazon reddit

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you don"t mind proceed with this extraordinary work and I anticipate a greater amount of your magnificent blog entries.  Polyurethane Release Agent manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  37. My mom liked this. Actually he told dad to get these construction materials and start working on this project as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  38. some stores and producers give sleep warranty of up to ninety days although thirty days is the basic. If during that time you decide the mattress you purchased is not right for you, you are able to either exchange it or return it for a refund. cheap truck mattress

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey,

    Thanks for sharing.

    We Offers the best Roofing Services in Guelph, Ontario Canada. Check our deals;

    Guelph Roofing Company | Roof Installation Guelph | Roof Repair Guelph | Roof Replacement Guelph

    Visit our website for free consultation.

    ReplyDelete