Monday, March 19, 2012

Transplanting leeks, lettuce, and kale

It's so nice that I couldn't resist transplanting some of my little seedlings today! Planted some peas that will grow along the trellises. My parents and I visited each other in Bowling Green this weekend, and she brought up some leeks from her garden, as well as sugar snap peas and some red onion sets to plant. I set out most of the kale today, 6 plants, as well as l0 speckled lettuce plants. I separated the leeks out and planted them as well- I've never grown them so we'll see how it goes!


I've been planting things in the new bed, since it has the best soil. Next up on the seed starting list: Tomatoes, and direct seeding Carrots! Last week I started peppers, more onions, and globe basil. I ordered the seed potatoes as well, and some asparagus, and those will come in soon- can't believe its time to plant all these things already.

Have you planted anything in your garden yet?

3 comments:

  1. Haven't planted anything yet...I can't make myself get over the fact that the calendar says it's still mid-March! We're still two full months away from our normal last frost date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know- it's pretty astounding! With the most important things (tomatoes, onions, etc, in my opinion) I am going to be really good and stick to the frost free date before i put them out- I'd hate to have a whole crop of things that I start from seed get killed off by frost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm feeling pretty good about my decision to wait on planting!

    ReplyDelete