Friday, August 31, 2012

Celebrating our Farmers this Labor Day

I'm in Columbus this weekend visiting my family! Some of my aunts & cousins, granddad and extended family are coming to my parents house and we'll be playing games and hanging outside, hopefully. It'll be a lot of fun!

My parents are nice and they've humored my desire for a mostly-local Labor Day meal. Really- I can't think of a much better way to celebrate local Farmers- some of the hardest working laborers in our country with the most important jobs; feeding our families & our country!

We're starting to gather the ingredients for the big Sunday cookout. I brought some freshly-harvested produce down from my garden to share. 

The Labor Day menu so far includes:
  • Caprese Salad w/ tomatoes from my parents garden 
  • My fav Potato Salad w/ pink potatoes & garlic from my garden, & onions from my CSA 
  • Sweet Corn
  • Mango Bean Salad w/ peppers from my CSA & garlic from my garden
  • Hamburgers 
  • a fruit plate, with my one prize cantaloupe :)
We're heading to the Clintonville Farmers' Market tomorrow morning and hopefully grabbing some of the 'missing pieces' - sweet corn, hamburger meat, and maybe some peaches for a special dessert. I've already got some good input from Columbus buddies on what vendors I should hit up first at the market before I go. I'm looking forward to seeing a new farmers' market here in my hometown!

Here's hoping that your Labor Day is relaxing and maybe even invigorating. If you can, find a way to appreciate and support your local farmers this labor day!

1 comment:

  1. Are all these coming from your own garden? I personally love to enjoy food from my own garden too.


    Buy Inflatable Spa

    ReplyDelete