I ended up using Aimee's suggestions for preparing the chicken, and I poured some red wine into the cavity of the chicken, along with sliding some garlic slices and some butter between the skin and the meat of the bird. I cooked it about 90% of the way and then put it in the slow-cooker to flavor the broth. Here's the finished results:
Also found a delicious, wonderful chocolate chip cookie recipe! These cookies end up tasting just like Der Dutchman cookies (which you should try immediately if you've never had them!)
Here's the recipe I used:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 266 | Total Fat: 12.4g | Cholesterol: 38mg