I harvested my first kale leaves (curly dwarf kale) from the garden this morning, as well as a green onion, and though, "What to make for breakfast with these?" I spotted russet potatoes I have left over and thought "Homefries!"
I'm always trying to sneak kale into different recipes- I don't love it as much as others do, but kale is really healthy for you, it's pretty, and it's cold-hardy which is important here up North! So here's the recipe I cooked up- it was quite good.
Homefries with Kale, Onions, & Garlic
2 medium russett potatoes, peeled
3-5 kale leaves
1 scallion/green onion
1 clove of garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the olive oil into a small frying pan and set on the stove, on medium heat
- Meanwhile, dice up the potatoes into small, hashbrown-ish pieces (1/2 inch is good)
- Add the hashbrowns into the sizzling pan, and let them brown a bit
- Dice up the green onions and mince the garlic- add to pan after about 5 minutes
- Cut the kale leaves from their stems, and chop into small pieces
- Taste potatoes or poke with a fork, to see how much longer they need
- Add kale to the pan when potatoes are almost finished.
- Add salt and pepper to the dish as needed
Serve and Enjoy!